Bovi-Shield IBR-PI3 (Canada)This page contains information on Bovi-Shield IBR-PI3 for veterinary use.
The information provided typically includes the following:
- Bovi-Shield IBR-PI3 Indications
- Warnings and cautions for Bovi-Shield IBR-PI3
- Direction and dosage information for Bovi-Shield IBR-PI3
Bovi-Shield IBR-PI3This treatment applies to the following species:
Bovine Rhinotracheitis-Parainfluenza-3 Vaccine
Modified Live Virus
PRODUCT DESCRIPTION: Bovi-Shield IBR-PI3 is for vaccination of healthy, nonpregnant cattle as an aid in preventing infectious bovine rhinotracheitis caused by infectious bovine rhinotracheitis (IBR) virus and disease caused by parainfluenza-3 (PI-3) virus. Bovi-Shield IBR-PI3 is a freeze-dried preparation of modified live virus (MLV) strains of IBR and PI-3 viruses, plus a sterile diluent used to rehydrate the freeze-dried vaccine. Viruses are propagated in established cell lines.
DISEASE DESCRIPTION: IBR and PI-3 viruses are commonly associated with respiratory disease and/or reproductive failure in cattle. IBR virus infection is characterized by high temperature, excessive nasal discharge, conjunctivitis and ocular discharge, inflamed nose (“red nose”), increased rate of respiration, coughing, loss of appetite, and depression. Cattle infected during pregnancy may abort.
PI-3 virus usually localizes in the upper respiratory tract, causing elevated temperature and moderate nasal and ocular discharge. Although clinical signs typically are mild, PI-3 infection weakens respiratory tissues. Invasion and replication of other pathogens, particularly Pasteurella spp., is thereby facilitated and may result in pneumonia.
SAFETY AND EFFICACY: In safety studies of the fractions of Bovi-Shield IBR-PI3 in healthy cattle, no major adverse reactions to vaccination were observed.
Efficacy of both fractions of Bovi-Shield IBR-PI3 was demonstrated in challenge-of-immunity studies. Cattle vaccinated with either fraction of Bovi-Shield IBR-PI3, followed by challenge with a disease-causing strain of that fraction, showed no signs or had significantly fewer clinical signs than nonvaccinated control cattle. Serologic studies demonstrated no immunologic interference between the fractions of Bovi-Shield IBR-PI3.
Directions For Use
1. General Directions: Vaccination of healthy, nonpregnant cattle is recommended. Aseptically rehydrate the freeze-dried vaccine with the sterile diluent provided, shake well, and administer 2 mL intramuscularly. In accordance with Beef Quality Assurance guidelines, this product should be administered in the muscular region of the neck.
2. Primary Vaccination: Administer a single 2 mL dose to healthy cattle.
3. Revaccinations: Annual revaccination with a single dose is recommended.
4. Good animal husbandry and herd health management practices should be employed.
1. Do not use in pregnant cows (abortions can result) or in calves nursing pregnant cows.
2. Store at 2°-7°C. Prolonged exposure to higher temperatures and/or direct sunlight may adversely affect potency. Do not freeze.
3. Use entire contents when first opened.
4. Sterilized syringes and needles should be used to administer this vaccine. Do not sterilize with chemicals because traces of disinfectant may inactivate the vaccine.
5. Burn containers and all unused contents.
6. Do not vaccinate within 21 days before slaughter.
7. Contains gentamicin as preservative.
8. As with many vaccines, anaphylaxis may occur after use. Initial antidote of epinephrine is recommended and should be followed with appropriate supportive therapy.
9. This product has been shown to be efficacious in healthy animals. A protective immune response may not be elicited if animals are incubating an infectious disease, are malnourished or parasitized, are stressed due to shipment or environmental conditions, are otherwise immunocompromised, or the vaccine is not administered in accordance with label directions.
Technical inquiries should be directed to Zoetis Inc. Veterinary Services, (888) 963-8471 (USA), (800) 461-0917 (Canada).
For veterinary use only
U.S. Veterinary License No. 190
Zoetis Inc., Kalamazoo, MI 49007, USA
Presentation: Available in 50 dose vials.
NAC No.: 1198014.7
16,740 TRANS-CANADA HIGHWAY, KIRKLAND, QC, H9H 4M7
|Technical Services Canada:||800-461-0917|
|Technical Services USA:||800-366-5288|
|Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the Bovi-Shield IBR-PI3 information published above. However, it remains the responsibility of the readers to familiarize themselves with the product information contained on the Canadian product label or package insert.|
Copyright © 2015 North American Compendiums. Updated: 2015-11-23