Step 4: Read and complete the decision guide to learn more about your symptoms.
Smell and Taste Loss
Thank you for using this symptom guide. We hope it was helpful and that your symptoms improve soon!
- There are many causes of taste and smell problems; while these problems may increase in frequency as we age, they are not an inevitable part of aging
- Common causes of loss of smell include head injury, nose or sinus problems, and upper respiratory infections (including the common cold)
- Common causes of loss of taste include mouth infections or inflammation and cigarette smoking
- Consider medications as a potential cause of your symptoms; check with your doctor or pharmacist about this possibility
- Many of the common causes of loss of smell or taste are reversible or treatable, but the treatment depends on the cause; so, be sure to get your symptoms checked out by your doctor.
Please provide feedback to help us improve the Drugs.com Symptom Checker.