2014 Update - First Time Brand-to-Generic Switches
Micardis, Micardis HCT by Boehringer Ingelheim
Rapamune by Pfizer
Loestrin 24 Fe by Warner Chilcott (Actavis)
Asacol by Warner Chilcott (Actavis)
Avelox by Bayer HealthCare
Evista by Eli Lilly
The U.S. Preventive Task Force now recommends that doctors offer tamoxifen or raloxifene to high-risk patients as a breast cancer preventive.
Nexium by AstraZeneca
Lunesta by Sunovion
Celebrex by Pfizer
Several companies are anxious to market the generic Celebrex - and understandably so - in 2013 Celebrex brought in over $2.9 billion in sales for Pfizer.
Actonel by Warner Chilcott (Actavis)
According to FDA, several generic manufacturers are lined up to start marketing risedronate in June - including Teva, Apotex, and Mylan. Actonel brought in over $500 million in sales for Warner Chilcott in 2012.
Xeloda by Hoffman La Roche/Genentech
Xeloda is widely used by patients with cancer, but a 30 tablet supply of Xeloda can cost over $1000, so generic options can save hundreds of dollars. Insurance may pay for a large portion of the drug. Genentech may be able to offer copay assistance on the brand, as well, if the patient prefers.
Nasonex by Merck
Exforge/Exforge HCT by Novartis
Copaxone by Teva Pharmaceuticals
TOBI Nebulizer Solution by Novartis
Avandamet by GSK
Diovan by Novartis
Pennsaid 1.5% by Nuvo/Mallinckrodt
Finished: 2014 Update - First Time Brand-to-Generic Switches
- Micardis. May 16, 2013. FiercePharma. Accessed February 20, 2014 at http://www.fiercepharma.com/special-reports/micardis#ixzz2tA5HKNrI
- Generic equivalent for Loestrin 24 Fe coming soon. Business Week. Nov. 7, 2013. Accessed February 18, 2014 at http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20131107006909/en/Generic-Equivalent-Loestrin%C2%AE-24-Fe-Coming#.UwpwOUJdU01
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Drugs. ANDA (Generic) Drug Approvals. Updated February 5, 2014. Accessed February 18, 2014 at http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DevelopmentApprovalProcess/HowDrugsareDevelopedandApproved/DrugandBiologicApprovalReports/ANDAGenericDrugApprovals/default.htm
- The Facts About Opportunities for Generic Savings in 2013 and 2014. Excellus. Blue Cross and Blue Shield. Winter 2013. Accessed February 15, 2014 at https://www.excellusbcbs.com.
- Warner Chilcott settles with Zydus over generic Asacol HD. December 11, 2013. Drug Store News. Accessed February 20, 2014 at http://www.drugstorenews.com/article/warner-chilcott-settles-zydus-over-generic-asacol-hd.
- FierceBiotech. Despite a years-long dry run, Lilly keeps the faith in its pipeline. Jan. 30, 2014. Accessed February 20, 2014 at http://www.fiercebiotech.com/story/despite-years-long-dry-run-lilly-keeps-faith-its-pipeline/2014-01-30#ixzz2uBoXLJIm
- Over-The-Counter Nexium. Rx Times. August 13, 2012. Accessed February 18, 2014.
- Exforge/Exforge HCT, Novartis. October 28, 2013. Accessed February 17, 2014 at http://www.fiercepharma.com/special-reports/exforgeexforge-hct-novartis-top-10-drug-patent-losses-2014
- As Teva preps for new Copaxone launch, Q4 beats estimates on old version's growth. Fierce Pharma. Feb 6, 2014. Accessed February 18, 2014 at http://www.fiercepharma.com/story/teva-preps-new-copaxone-launch-q4-beats-estimates-old-versions-growth/2014-02-06#ixzz2uBrm5tzg
- Pfizer Will Appeal Court Decision Regarding Celebrex Reissue Patent. FierceBiotech. March 12, 2014. Accessed March 12, 2104 at http://www.fiercebiotech.com/press-releases/pfizer-will-appeal-court-decision-regarding-celebrex-reissue-patent