Zinc gluconate Side Effects
For the Consumer
Applies to zinc gluconate: oral lozenge, oral tablet
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction while taking zinc gluconate: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Less serious side effects of zinc gluconate may include:
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to zinc gluconate: compounding powder, oral lozenge, oral tablet, oral tablet dispersible
Endocrine side effects have included the reduction of high density lipoprotein (HDL) in males.[Ref]
Due to an accompanying decrease in low density lipoproteins (LDL), the LDL/HDL ratio remains relatively unchanged and little risk is assumed in terms of coronary heart disease. Triglyceride levels have not been shown to be affected.[Ref]
Gastrointestinal irritation appears to be dose-related.[Ref]
Gastrointestinal side effects have included an unpleasant taste (80%), nausea (20%), mouth irritation (24%), dry mouth (12%), gastrointestinal upset (10%), distortion of taste, abdominal pain, vomiting, and diarrhea.[Ref]
Nervous system side effects have rarely included dizziness and headache.[Ref]
1. "Product Information. Galzin (zinc acetate)." Gate Pharmaceuticals, Sellersville, PA.
2. Macknin ML, Piedmonte M, Calendine C, Janosky J, Wald E "Zinc gluconate lozenges for treating the common cold in children: a randomized controlled trial [see comments." JAMA 279 (1998): 1962-7
3. Mossad SB, Macknin ML, Medendorp SV, Mason P "Zinc gluconate lozenges for treating the common cold. A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study." Ann Intern Med 125 (1996): 81-8
4. Al-Nakib W, Higgins PG, Barrow I, Batstone G, Tyrrell DA "Prophylaxis and treatment of rhinovirus colds with zinc gluconate lozenges." J Antimicrob Chemother 20 (1987): 893-901
5. Eby GA, Davis DR, Halcomb WW "Reduction in duration of common colds by zinc gluconate lozenges in a double-blind study." Antimicrob Agents Chemother 25 (1984): 20-4
6. Godfrey JC, Conant Sloane B, Smith DS, Turco JH, Mercer N, Godfrey NJ "Zinc gluconate and the common cold: a controlled clinical study." J Int Med Res 20 (1992): 234-46
It is possible that some side effects of zinc gluconate may not have been reported. These can be reported to the FDA here. Always consult a healthcare professional for medical advice.
More about zinc gluconate
Related treatment guides
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided is accurate, up-to-date and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. In addition, the drug information contained herein may be time sensitive and should not be utilized as a reference resource beyond the date hereof. This material does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients, or recommend therapy. This information is a reference resource designed as supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill , knowledge, and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. The absence of a warning for a given drug or combination thereof in no way should be construed to indicate safety, effectiveness, or appropriateness for any given patient. Drugs.com does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of materials provided. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the substances you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.