Tranexamic acid Side Effects
Some side effects of tranexamic acid may not be reported. Always consult your doctor or healthcare specialist for medical advice. You may also report side effects to the FDA.
For the Consumer
Applies to tranexamic acid: oral syrup, oral tablet
Other dosage forms:
Along with its needed effects, tranexamic acid may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Check with your doctor immediately if any of the following side effects occur while taking tranexamic acid:More common
- Pale skin
- troubled breathing with exertion
- unusual bleeding or bruising
- unusual tiredness or weakness
- blurred or loss of vision
- chest pain
- difficulty with swallowing
- disturbed color perception
- dizziness or lightheadedness
- double vision
- fast heartbeat
- night blindness
- numbness of the hands
- overbright appearance of lights
- pain, redness, or swelling in the arm or leg
- puffiness or swelling of the eyelids or around the eyes, face, lips, or tongue
- seeing halos around lights
- seeing shades of colors differently than before
- shortness of breath
- skin rash
- sudden shortness of breath or troubled breathing
- tightness in the chest
- tunnel vision
Some side effects of tranexamic acid may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects. Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them:More common
- Abdominal or stomach pain, discomfort, or tenderness
- back pain
- difficulty with moving
- headache, severe and throbbing
- increased sensitivity to sunlight
- itching, pain, redness, or swelling of the eye or eyelid
- joint pain
- muscle aching or cramping
- muscle pains or stiffness
- pain or tenderness around the eyes and cheekbones
- severe skin rash or hives
- stuffy or runny nose
- swollen glands
- swollen joints
- watering of the eyes
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to tranexamic acid: compounding powder, intravenous solution, oral tablet
Gastrointestinal side effects have frequently included nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Abdominal pain has also been reported.
Nervous system side effects have included giddiness, dizziness, headache, tension headache, and migraine.
Hematologic side effects have included thromboembolic events (e.g., deep vein thrombosis, pulmonary embolism, cerebral thrombosis, acute renal cortical necrosis, and central retinal artery and vein obstruction) and anemia.
Hypersensitivity side effects have included allergic skin reactions, anaphylactic shock and anaphylactoid reactions.
A case of severe allergic reaction to tranexamic acid was reported involving a subject on her fourth cycle of treatment who experienced dyspnea, tightening of her throat, and facial flushing that required emergency medical treatment.
Ocular side effects have rarely included disturbances of color vision and retinal artery occlusion.
Musculoskeletal side effects have included back pain, musculoskeletal pain, muscle cramps and spasms, myalgia, and arthralgia including joint stiffness and swelling.
Respiratory side effects have included nasal and sinus symptoms including nasal, respiratory tract and sinus congestion, sinusitis, acute sinusitis, sinus headache, and allergic sinusitis and sinus pain.
Cardiovascular side effects have included hypotension when intravenous administration exceeded 1 mL per minute.
Genitourinary side effects have included ureteral obstruction due to clot formation in patients with upper urinary tract bleeding.
More tranexamic acid resources
- tranexamic acid MedFacts Consumer Leaflet (Wolters Kluwer)
- tranexamic acid Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Tranexamic Acid Professional Patient Advice (Wolters Kluwer)
- Cyklokapron Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Cyklokapron Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Lysteda Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Lysteda MedFacts Consumer Leaflet (Wolters Kluwer)
- Lysteda Consumer Overview
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided is accurate, up-to-date and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. In addition, the drug information contained herein may be time sensitive and should not be utilized as a reference resource beyond the date hereof. This information does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients, or recommend therapy. This drug information is a reference resource designed as supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill , knowledge, and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. The absence of a warning for a given drug or drug combination in no way should be construed to indicate that the drug or drug combination is safe, effective, or appropriate for any given patient. Drugs.com does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of information provided. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the drugs you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.