Soma Side Effects
Generic Name: carisoprodol
Note: This page contains side effects data for the generic drug carisoprodol. It is possible that some of the dosage forms included below may not apply to the brand name Soma.
It is possible that some side effects of Soma may not have been reported. These can be reported to the FDA here. Always consult a healthcare professional for medical advice.
For the Consumer
Applies to carisoprodol: oral tablet
As well as its needed effects, carisoprodol (the active ingredient contained in Soma) may cause unwanted side effects that require medical attention.
If any of the following side effects occur while taking carisoprodol, check with your doctor immediately:Incidence not known
- Black, tarry stools
- chest pain
- cold sweats
- dizziness, faintness, or lightheadedness when getting up suddenly from a lying or sitting position
- fast, pounding, or irregular heartbeat or pulse
- loss of bladder control
- muscle spasm or jerking of all extremities
- painful or difficult urination
- shortness of breath
- sore throat
- sores, ulcers, or white spots on the lips or in the mouth
- sudden loss of consciousness
- swollen glands
- unusual bleeding or bruising
- unusual tiredness or weakness
If any of the following symptoms of overdose occur while taking carisoprodol, get emergency help immediately:Symptoms of overdose
- Bigger, dilated, or enlarged pupils (black part of the eye)
- blurred vision
- change in consciousness
- confusion as to time, place, or person
- difficult or troubled breathing
- false or unusual sense of well-being
- holding false beliefs that cannot be changed by fact
- inability to move the eyes
- increased blinking or spasms of the eyelid
- increased sensitivity of the eyes to light
- irregular, fast or slow, or shallow breathing
- loss of consciousness
- muscle stiffness or tightness
- pale or blue lips, fingernails, or skin
- sticking out of the tongue
- trouble with breathing, speaking, or swallowing
- uncontrolled eye movements
- uncontrolled twisting movements of the neck, trunk, arms, or legs
- unusual excitement, nervousness, or restlessness
- unusual facial expressions
- weakness of the arms and legs
Some carisoprodol side effects may not need any medical attention. As your body gets used to the medicine these side effects may disappear. Your health care professional may be able to help you prevent or reduce these side effects, but do check with them if any of the following side effects continue, or if you are concerned about them:More common
- deep or fast breathing with dizziness
- dry mouth
- face is warm or hot to touch
- fainting feeling of constant movement of self or surroundings
- numbness of the feet, hands, and around the mouth
- pain or discomfort in the chest, upper stomach, or throat
- redness to face
- sensation of spinning
- shakiness and unsteady walk
- trouble sleeping
- unable to sleep
- unsteadiness, trembling, or other problems with muscle control or coordination
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to carisoprodol: compounding powder, oral tablet
Nervous system side effects are common and include drowsiness and sedation most often. There have been postmarketing reports of motor vehicle accidents associated with the use of carisoprodol (the active ingredient contained in Soma) Dizziness, headache, tremor, agitation, insomnia, syncope and ataxia have also been reported.
Central respiratory depression may occur, particularly at high doses.
Psychologic dependence and abuse of carisoprodol (the active ingredient contained in Soma) (often in combination with alcohol and other CNS depressants) have been reported.
Withdrawal symptoms after abrupt cessation of carisoprodol have been reported and may be due to dependency on the meprobamate metabolite. Such symptoms include abdominal pain, agitation, tremor, restlessness, anxiety, depression, insomnia, nausea, and sweating. Seizures have been reported rarely.
Hypersensitivity effects include rash, pruritus and erythema multiforme. Asthma, fever, hypotension and anaphylaxis have been reported rarely.
Gastrointestinal symptoms include nausea, vomiting, hiccups and epigastric distress.
Cardiovascular effects include tachycardia, hypotension, postural hypotension, and facial flushing.
Oncologic side effects have included mutagenicity and clastogenicity reported from in vitro animal cell assays.
More about Soma (carisoprodol)
- Other brands: Vanadom
Related treatment guides
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided is accurate, up-to-date and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. In addition, the drug information contained herein may be time sensitive and should not be utilized as a reference resource beyond the date hereof. This material does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients, or recommend therapy. This information is a reference resource designed as supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill , knowledge, and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. The absence of a warning for a given drug or combination thereof in no way should be construed to indicate safety, effectiveness, or appropriateness for any given patient. Drugs.com does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of materials provided. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the substances you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.