Sodium tetradecyl sulfate Side Effects
Some side effects of sodium tetradecyl sulfate may not be reported. Always consult your doctor or healthcare specialist for medical advice. You may also report side effects to the FDA.
For the Consumer
Applies to sodium tetradecyl sulfate: intravenous solution
Along with its needed effects, sodium tetradecyl sulfate may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Check with your doctor or nurse immediately if any of the following side effects occur while taking sodium tetradecyl sulfate:Frequency not known
- chest pain
- difficulty breathing
- difficulty swallowing
- dizziness or light-headedness
- fast heartbeat
- noisy breathing
- pain, redness, or swelling in arm or leg
- puffiness or swelling of the eyelids or around the eyes, face, lips or tongue
- raised red swellings on the skin, lips, tongue, or in the throat
- redness of skin
- skin rash
- sudden shortness of breath or troubled breathing
- tightness in chest
- unusual tiredness or weakness
Some side effects of sodium tetradecyl sulfate may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects. Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them:Frequency not known
- pain, local
- pain or redness at site of injection
- pale skin at site of injection
- peeling or sloughing of skin
- ulceration at site of injection
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to sodium tetradecyl sulfate: injectable solution
Local side effects have included pain and urticaria or ulceration at the injection site. A permanent discoloration along the path of the sclerosed vein segment has also been reported.
Four cases of anaphylactic shock leading to death have been reported in patients receiving sodium tetradecyl sulfate. Of these four patients, one had a history of asthma.
Hypersensitivity side effects have included hives, asthma, hayfever, and anaphylactic shock.
Gastrointestinal side effects have included nausea and vomiting.
General side effects have included headache.
More sodium tetradecyl sulfate resources
- sodium tetradecyl sulfate Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)
- sodium tetradecyl sulfate MedFacts Consumer Leaflet (Wolters Kluwer)
- sodium tetradecyl sulfate Intravenous Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Sodium Tetradecyl Sulfate Professional Patient Advice (Wolters Kluwer)
- Sodium Tetradecyl Sulfate Monograph (AHFS DI)
- SOTRADECOL Prescribing Information (FDA)
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided is accurate, up-to-date and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. In addition, the drug information contained herein may be time sensitive and should not be utilized as a reference resource beyond the date hereof. This information does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients, or recommend therapy. This drug information is a reference resource designed as supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill , knowledge, and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. The absence of a warning for a given drug or drug combination in no way should be construed to indicate that the drug or drug combination is safe, effective, or appropriate for any given patient. Drugs.com does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of information provided. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the drugs you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.