Safetussin CD Side Effects
Generic Name: dextromethorphan / phenylephrine
Note: This page contains side effects data for the generic drug dextromethorphan / phenylephrine. It is possible that some of the dosage forms included below may not apply to the brand name Safetussin CD.
For the Consumer
Applies to dextromethorphan / phenylephrine: drops
Other dosage forms:
Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur while taking dextromethorphan / phenylephrine:
Dizziness; excitability; headache; nausea; nervousness or anxiety; trouble sleeping; weakness.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); difficulty urinating; fast or irregular heartbeat; hallucinations; seizures; severe dizziness, lightheadedness, or headache; tremor.
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to dextromethorphan / phenylephrine: oral disintegrating strip, oral liquid
Cardiovascular side effects of phenylephrine have included palpitations, arrhythmias, and cardiovascular collapse with hypotension.[Ref]
Gastrointestinal side effects of dextromethorphan have included stomach upset. Gastrointestinal side effects of phenylephrine have included nausea.[Ref]
Nervous system side effects of dextromethorphan have included drowsiness and dizziness. Other side effects such as excitation, mental confusion, and opioid like respiratory depression have been rare and occurred at higher dosages. In some cases of abuse, patients experienced euphoria, hyperactivity, mania, and auditory and visual hallucinations.
Nervous system side effects of phenylephrine have included headache, dizziness, nervousness, restlessness, tremor, insomnia, convulsions, and central nervous system depression.[Ref]
Hypersensitivity side effects of dextromethorphan have included rare reports of fixed-drug eruptions.[Ref]
General side effects of phenylephrine have included pallor and weakness.[Ref]
Genitourinary side effects of phenylephrine have included dysuria.[Ref]
Psychiatric side effects of phenylephrine have included hallucinations, fear, and anxiety.[Ref]
Respiratory side effects of phenylephrine have included respiratory difficulty.[Ref]
1. "Product Information. Ah-Chew D (phenylephrine)." WE Pharmaceuticals Inc, Ramona, CA.
2. Covington TR, Lawson LC, Young LL, eds. "Handbook of Nonprescription Drugs. 10th ed." Washington, DC: American Pharmaceutical Association (1993):
3. Wolfe TR, Caravati EM "Massive dextromethorphan ingestion and abuse." Am J Emerg Med 13 (1995): 174-6
4. Nishikata M, Nomura A, Iseki K, Miyazaki K, Nakai A, Fushida H, Miyake K, Arita T "Enantioselective pharmacokinetics of homochlorcyclizine. II: Disposition and metabolism of (+)-, (-)- and racemic homochlorcyclizine after oral administration to man." Eur J Clin Pharmacol 43 (1992): 533-8
5. Polles A, Griffith JL "Dextromethorphan-induced mania." Psychosomatics 37 (1996): 71-4
6. Hall RC, Beresford TP, Stickney SK, Nasdahl CS, Coleman JH "Psychiatric reactions produced by respiratory drugs." Psychosomatics 26 (1985): 605-8,616-7
7. Bostwick JM "Dextromethorphan-induced manic symptoms in a bipolar patient on lithium." Psychosomatics 37 (1996): 571-2
8. Helfer J, Kim OM "Psychoactive abuse potential of Robitussin-DM." Am J Psychiatry 147 (1990): 672-3
9. Stubb S, Reitamo S "Fixed-drug eruption due to dextromethorphan ." Arch Dermatol 126 (1990): 970-1
It is possible that some side effects of Safetussin CD may not have been reported. These can be reported to the FDA here. Always consult a healthcare professional for medical advice.
More about Safetussin CD (dextromethorphan / phenylephrine)
- Other brands: Little Colds Decongestant/Cough, Triaminic Day Time Cold & Cough, Sudafed PE Children's Cold & Cough, PediaCare Children's Multi-Symptom Cold, More (2) »
Related treatment guides
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided is accurate, up-to-date and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. In addition, the drug information contained herein may be time sensitive and should not be utilized as a reference resource beyond the date hereof. This material does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients, or recommend therapy. This information is a reference resource designed as supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill , knowledge, and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. The absence of a warning for a given drug or combination thereof in no way should be construed to indicate safety, effectiveness, or appropriateness for any given patient. Drugs.com does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of materials provided. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the substances you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.