Prohance Side Effects
Generic Name: gadoteridol
Note: This page contains side effects data for the generic drug gadoteridol. It is possible that some of the dosage forms included below may not apply to the brand name Prohance.
It is possible that some side effects of Prohance may not have been reported. These can be reported to the FDA here. Always consult a healthcare professional for medical advice.
For the Consumer
Applies to gadoteridol: intravenous solution
As well as its needed effects, gadoteridol (the active ingredient contained in Prohance) may cause unwanted side effects that require medical attention.
If any of the following side effects occur while taking gadoteridol, check with your doctor or nurse immediately:Rare
- Bluish color of the fingernails, lips, skin, palms, or nail beds
- blurred vision
- burning, crawling, itching, numbness, prickling, "pins and needles", or tingling feelings
- chest pain or discomfort
- decreased awareness or responsiveness
- difficult or labored breathing
- difficulty swallowing
- dizziness, faintness, or lightheadedness when getting up suddenly from a lying or sitting position
- feeling of warmth
- general feeling of discomfort or illness
- increased salivation
- loss of bladder control
- loss of consciousness
- low blood pressure or pulse
- pounding in the ears
- puffiness or swelling of the eyelids or around the eyes, face, lips, or tongue
- redness of the face, neck, arms, and occasionally, upper chest
- shakiness in the legs, arms, hands, or feet
- skin rash
- slow, fast, or irregular breathing
- spasm of the throat
- tightness in the chest
- trembling or shaking of the hands or feet
- unusual tiredness or weakness
Some gadoteridol side effects may not need any medical attention. As your body gets used to the medicine these side effects may disappear. Your health care professional may be able to help you prevent or reduce these side effects, but do check with them if any of the following side effects continue, or if you are concerned about them:Less common
- Bad, unusual, or unpleasant (after) taste
- Abdominal or stomach cramps
- bleeding gums
- bleeding, blistering, burning, coldness, discoloration of the skin, feeling of pressure, hives, infection, inflammation, itching, lumps, numbness, pain, rash, redness, scarring, soreness, stinging, swelling, tenderness, tingling, ulceration, or warmth at the injection site
- continuing ringing or buzzing or other unexplained noise in the ears
- dry mouth
- hearing loss
- irritation in the mouth
- loss of coordination in the arms
- mouth ulcers
- rash with flat lesions or small raised lesions on the skin
- redness and swelling of the gums
- runny nose
- stuffy nose
- tingling sensation in the throat
- voice changes
- watery eyes
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to gadoteridol: injectable solution
Cardiovascular side effects have included prolonged P-R Interval, hypotension, elevated heart rate, A-V nodal rhythm, cardiac arrest, bradycardia, hypertension, and death in association with pre-existing cardiovascular disorders.
Respiratory side effects have included dyspnea, rhinitis, cough, apnea, and wheezing.
Other side effects have included voice alteration; transitory deafness and tinnitus.
Nervous system side effects have included headache, anxiety, dizziness, paresthesia, mental status decline, loss of coordination in arm, staring episodes, seizure, syncope, stupor, tremor, tingling sensation in extremities and digits, and loss of consciousness.
Hypersensitivity side effects have included anaphylactoid reactions rarely resulting in death.
Dermatologic side effects have included pruritus, rash, macular papular rash, urticaria, hives, itching, sweating, and cyanosis.
Gastrointestinal side effects have included edematous and/or itching tongue, gingivitis dry mouth, loose bowel, vomiting, abdominal cramps, increased salivation, and dysphagia.
General side effects have included facial edema, neck rigidity, pain, chest pain, fever, tingling sensation in throat, laryngismus, flushed feeling, vasovagal reaction, and generalized edema.
Genitourinary side effects have included urinary incontinence.
Local side effects have included pain at injection site and injection site reaction.
Ocular side effects have included watery eyes.
More about Prohance (gadoteridol)
Related treatment guides
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided is accurate, up-to-date and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. In addition, the drug information contained herein may be time sensitive and should not be utilized as a reference resource beyond the date hereof. This material does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients, or recommend therapy. This information is a reference resource designed as supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill , knowledge, and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. The absence of a warning for a given drug or combination thereof in no way should be construed to indicate safety, effectiveness, or appropriateness for any given patient. Drugs.com does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of materials provided. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the substances you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.