Parafon Forte DSC Side Effects
Generic name: chlorzoxazone
Note: This document contains side effect information about chlorzoxazone. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Parafon Forte DSC.
Some side effects of Parafon Forte DSC may not be reported. Always consult your doctor or healthcare specialist for medical advice. You may also report side effects to the FDA.
For the Consumer
Applies to chlorzoxazone: oral capsule, oral tablet
Along with its needed effects, chlorzoxazone (the active ingredient contained in Parafon Forte DSC) may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Check with your doctor immediately if any of the following side effects occur while taking chlorzoxazone:Rare
- Bloody or black, tarry stools
- clay-colored stools
- dark urine
- decreased appetite
- difficulty swallowing
- fast heartbeat
- large, hive-like swelling on the face, eyelids, lips, tongue, throat, hands, legs, feet, or sex organs
- loss of appetite
- nausea and vomiting
- puffiness or swelling of the eyelids or around the eyes, face, lips, or tongue
- severe stomach pain
- shortness of breath
- skin rash
- swelling of the feet or lower legs
- tightness in the chest
- unusual tiredness or weakness
- vomiting of blood or material that looks like coffee grounds
- yellow eyes or skin
Get emergency help immediately if any of the following symptoms of overdose occur while taking chlorzoxazone:Symptoms of overdose
- difficult or troubled breathing
- general feeling of discomfort or illness
- irregular, fast or slow, or shallow breathing
- pale or blue lips, fingernails, or skin
Some side effects of chlorzoxazone may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects. Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them:Rare
- large, flat, blue, or purplish patches in the skin
- small red or purple spots on the skin
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to chlorzoxazone: compounding powder, oral tablet
Gastrointestinal side effects of chlorzoxazone (the active ingredient contained in Parafon Forte DSC) have rarely included gastrointestinal bleeding.
Nervous system side effects have included drowsiness, dizziness, light-headedness, malaise, and overstimulation.
Hypersensitivity side effects have rarely included skin rashes, petechiae, angioneurotic edema, anaphylactic reactions, and ecchymoses.
Renal side effects attributed to a phenolic metabolite have rarely included urine discoloration.
More Parafon Forte DSC resources
- Parafon Forte DSC Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Parafon Forte DSC MedFacts Consumer Leaflet (Wolters Kluwer)
- Parafon Forte DSC Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)
- Parafon Forte DSC Monograph (AHFS DI)
- Parafon Forte DSC Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Chlorzoxazone Professional Patient Advice (Wolters Kluwer)
- Chlorzoxazone Prescribing Information (FDA)
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided is accurate, up-to-date and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. In addition, the drug information contained herein may be time sensitive and should not be utilized as a reference resource beyond the date hereof. This information does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients, or recommend therapy. This drug information is a reference resource designed as supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill , knowledge, and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. The absence of a warning for a given drug or drug combination in no way should be construed to indicate that the drug or drug combination is safe, effective, or appropriate for any given patient. Drugs.com does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of information provided. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the drugs you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.