Notuss-NX Side Effects
Generic Name: chlorcyclizine / codeine
Note: This page contains side effects data for the generic drug chlorcyclizine / codeine. It is possible that some of the dosage forms included below may not apply to the brand name Notuss-NX.
For the Consumer
Applies to chlorcyclizine / codeine: liquid
Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur while taking chlorcyclizine / codeine:
Constipation; diarrhea; dizziness; drowsiness; dry mouth, nose, or throat; excitability; headache; loss of appetite; nausea; upset stomach; vomiting.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); blurred vision, double vision, or other vision changes; confusion; difficulty urinating or inability to urinate; fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; loss of coordination; mood or mental changes; nervousness; ringing in the ears; seizures; severe dizziness, lightheadedness, or headache; severe drowsiness; shallow breathing; tremor; trouble sleeping; uncontrolled muscle movements; unusual weakness or tiredness.
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to chlorcyclizine / codeine: oral liquid
Nervous system side effects have included excitability, drowsiness, nervousness, and sleeplessness.[Ref]
Gastrointestinal side effects including nausea, vomiting, and constipation have been reported frequently. Severe constipation and ileus resulting in colonic perforation have also been reported. Four cases of acute pancreatitis have been reported.[Ref]
Cardiovascular side effects have included hypotension and dizziness.[Ref]
Dermatologic side effects including rashes, severe scarlatiniform eruptions, and generalized dermatitis have been reported rarely.
Genitourinary side effects including urinary retention have been reported.[Ref]
Ocular side effects including a temporary 26% decrease in pupil diameter following the administration of intravenous codeine have been reported.[Ref]
Other side effects including withdrawal symptoms after either abrupt cessation or fast tapering of narcotic analgesics have been reported. These withdrawal symptoms have included agitation, restlessness, anxiety, insomnia, tremor, abdominal cramps, blurred vision, vomiting, and sweating.
1. Max MB, Schafer SC, Culnane M, et al "Association of pain relief with drug side effects in postherpeticneuralgia: a single-dose study of clonidine, codeine, ibuprofen, and placebo." Clin Pharmacol Ther 43 (1988): 363-71
2. de Groot AC, Conemans J "Allergic urticarial rash from oral codeine." Contact Dermatitis 14 (1986): 209-14
3. "Product Information. Notuss-NX (chlorcyclizine-codeine)." SJ Pharmaceuticals formerly Stewart-Jackson Pharmacal Inc, Atlanta, GA.
4. Shorr RI, Griffin MR, Daugherty JR, Ray WA "Opioid analgesics and the risk of hip fracture in the elderly: codeine and propoxyphene." J Gerontol 47 (1992): m111-5
5. Stringer MD, Greenfield S, McIrvine AJ "Stercoral perforation of the colon following postoperative analgesia." J R Soc Med 80 (1987): 115-6
6. Knaggs RD, Crighton IM, Cobby TF, Fletcher AJ, Hobbs GJ "The pupillary effects of intravenous morphine, codeine, and tramadol in volunteers." Anesth Analg 99 (2004): 108-12
It is possible that some side effects of Notuss-NX may not have been reported. These can be reported to the FDA here. Always consult a healthcare professional for medical advice.
More about Notuss-NX (chlorcyclizine / codeine)
- Other brands: Poly-Tussin
Related treatment guides
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided is accurate, up-to-date and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. In addition, the drug information contained herein may be time sensitive and should not be utilized as a reference resource beyond the date hereof. This material does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients, or recommend therapy. This information is a reference resource designed as supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill , knowledge, and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. The absence of a warning for a given drug or combination thereof in no way should be construed to indicate safety, effectiveness, or appropriateness for any given patient. Drugs.com does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of materials provided. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the substances you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.