Halazepam Side Effects
For the Consumer
Applies to halazepam: oral tablet
If you experience any of the following serious side effects, stop taking halazepam and seek emergency medical attention:
an allergic reaction (difficulty breathing; closing of your throat; swelling of your lips, face, or tongue; or hives);
sores in the mouth or throat;
yellowing of the skin or eyes;
hallucinations or severe confusion; or
changes in vision.
Other, less serious side effects may be more likely to occur. Continue to take halazepam and talk to your doctor if you experience
drowsiness, dizziness, or clumsiness;
nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or constipation;
decreased sex drive; or
changes in behavior.
Side effects other than those listed here may also occur. Talk to your doctor about any side effect that seems unusual or that is especially bothersome.
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to halazepam: oral tablet
Nervous system side effects have been common and have included drowsiness, sedation, somnolence, confusion, poor memory, dizziness, ataxia, and decreased motor coordination (particularly in elderly patients). Paradoxical excitement and behavioral disinhibition have also been observed by some clinicians.[Ref]
Gastrointestinal side effects including nausea and dry mouth have been reported.[Ref]
Other side effects have included withdrawal symptoms after either abrupt cessation or fast tapering of benzodiazepines and tolerance to the pharmacologic effects of other benzodiazepines has been reported . However, withdrawal symptoms have not been specifically reported for halazepam.[Ref]
Withdrawal symptoms may include agitation, restlessness, anxiety, depression, insomnia, tremor, abdominal discomfort, blurred vision, vomiting, sweating, and seizures.[Ref]
Respiratory side effects including dose-dependent respiratory depression have been associated with use of other benzodiazepines but has not been specifically reported for halazepam.[Ref]
1. Gagnon MA, Langlois Y, Boghen DR, Verdy M "Effects of halazepam and diazepam on the motor coordination of geriatric subjects." Eur J Clin Pharmacol 11 (1977): 443-8
2. Fann WE, Sullivan JL, 3d Miller RD "Halazepam in anxious outpatients: a controlled study." Curr Ther Res Clin Exp 16 (1974): 1281-6
3. Mendels J, Wasserman TW, Michals TJ, Fine EW "Halazepam in the management of acute alcohol withdrawal syndrome." J Clin Psychiatry 46 (1985): 172-4
4. Fann WE, Pitts WM, Wheless JC "Pharmacology, efficacy, and adverse effects of halazepam, a new benzodiazepine." Pharmacotherapy 2 (1982): 72-9
5. Aden GC, O'Hair DE "Effectiveness of bedtime dosing of benzodiazepines: a placebo- controlled comparison of halazepam and clorazepate." Clin Ther 3 (1980): 209-18
6. Pierce MW, Shu VS, Groves LJ "Safety of estazolam. The United States clinical experience." Am J Med 88 (1990): s12-7
7. "Product Information. ProSom (estazolam)." Abbott Pharmaceutical, Abbott Park, IL.
8. Skatrud JB, Badr S, Begle RL, Juan D "Ventilatory response to single, high dose estazolam in healthy humans." J Clin Pharmacol 30 (1990): 543-8
Not all side effects for halazepam may be reported. You should always consult a doctor or healthcare professional for medical advice. Side effects can be reported to the FDA here.
More about halazepam
- Other brands: Paxipam
Related treatment guides
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided is accurate, up-to-date and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. In addition, the drug information contained herein may be time sensitive and should not be utilized as a reference resource beyond the date hereof. This material does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients, or recommend therapy. This information is a reference resource designed as supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill , knowledge, and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. The absence of a warning for a given drug or combination thereof in no way should be construed to indicate safety, effectiveness, or appropriateness for any given patient. Drugs.com does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of materials provided. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the substances you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.