Formoterol Side Effects
Some side effects of formoterol may not be reported. Always consult your doctor or healthcare specialist for medical advice. You may also report side effects to the FDA.
For the Consumer
Applies to formoterol: inhalation aerosol powder, inhalation capsule, inhalation solution
Along with its needed effects, formoterol may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Check with your doctor immediately if any of the following side effects occur while taking formoterol:More common
- Body aches or pain
- cold or flu-like symptoms
- cough or hoarseness
- difficulty with breathing
- ear congestion
- loss of voice
- nasal congestion
- runny nose
- sore throat
- unusual tiredness or weakness
- Chest pain or discomfort
- cough-producing mucous
- dry throat
- labored breathing
- pain or tenderness around the eyes and cheekbones
- shortness of breath
- tender, swollen glands in the neck
- tightness in the chest
- trouble with swallowing
- voice changes
- decreased urine
- dry mouth
- fast, pounding, or irregular heartbeat or pulse
- increased thirst
- loss of appetite
- noisy breathing
- Blurred vision
- dizziness, faintness, or lightheadedness when getting up suddenly from a lying or sitting position
- large, hive-like swelling on the face, eyelids, lips, tongue, throat, hands, legs, feet, or sex organs
- puffiness or swelling of the eyelids or around the eyes, face, lips, or tongue
- skin rash
Get emergency help immediately if any of the following symptoms of overdose occur while taking formoterol:Symptoms of overdose
- Arm, back, or jaw pain
- chest tightness or heaviness
- general feeling or discomfort or illness
- increased hunger
- increased urination
- muscle pain
- muscle spasm or jerking of all extremities
- no blood pressure or pulse
- numbness or tingling in the hands, feet, or lips
- palpitations or pounding in the ears
- pounding or racing heartbeat or pulse
- slow heartbeat
- stopping of heart
- sudden loss of consciousness
Some side effects of formoterol may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects. Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them:Less common
- back pain
- increased mucous in the throat and lungs
- leg cramps
- muscle cramps
- redness of the skin
- shakiness in the legs, arms, hands, or feet
- trembling or shaking of the hands or feet
- trouble sleeping
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to formoterol: inhalation capsule, inhalation solution
Cardiovascular side effects have included angina, hypertension or hypotension, tachycardia, palpitations and arrhythmias. Post marketing reports have included atrial fibrillation, ventricular extrasystoles, tachyarrhythmia and prolonged QT interval on electrocardiogram.
Dermatologic side effects have included rash (1.1%).
Endocrine side effects have included hyperglycemia.
Gastrointestinal side effects have included dry mouth and nausea.
Metabolic side effects have included hypokalemia and metabolic acidosis.
Musculoskeletal side effects have included muscle cramps.
Nervous system side effects have included nervousness, headache, tremor, dizziness, and insomnia.
Respiratory side effects have included bronchitis (4.6%), chest infection (2.7%), dyspnea (2.1%), dysphonia (1%) and tonsillitis (1.2%). Post marketing reports have included cough.
General side effects have included fatigue and malaise.
Hypersensitivity side effects have included anaphylactic reactions, urticaria, angioedema, rash, and bronchospasm. Postmarketing reports have included angioedema (presenting as face, lip, tongue, eye, pharyngeal, or mouth edema) and severe hypotension.
More formoterol resources
- formoterol Inhalation, oral/nebulization Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- formoterol MedFacts Consumer Leaflet (Wolters Kluwer)
- Formoterol Fumarate Monograph (AHFS DI)
- Perforomist Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Perforomist solution MedFacts Consumer Leaflet (Wolters Kluwer)
- Perforomist Consumer Overview
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided is accurate, up-to-date and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. In addition, the drug information contained herein may be time sensitive and should not be utilized as a reference resource beyond the date hereof. This information does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients, or recommend therapy. This drug information is a reference resource designed as supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill , knowledge, and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. The absence of a warning for a given drug or drug combination in no way should be construed to indicate that the drug or drug combination is safe, effective, or appropriate for any given patient. Drugs.com does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of information provided. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the drugs you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.