Diphenhydramine / guaifenesin Side Effects
Applies to diphenhydramine / guaifenesin: oral liquid
Cardiovascular side effects of diphenhydramine have included hypotension, tachycardia, and palpitations.[Ref]
Gastrointestinal side effects of diphenhydramine have been usually mild and included nausea and dry mouth. Gastrointestinal side effects of guaifenesin have included stomach upset and vomiting with higher than recommended doses. Doses recommended for expectoration have rarely been associated with gastrointestinal upset.[Ref]
Genitourinary side effects have included urinary retention and dysuria as a result of the anticholinergic effects of diphenhydramine.[Ref]
Hematologic side effects such as hemolytic anemia, thrombocytopenia, and agranulocytosis have been rarely caused by antihistamines.[Ref]
Most commonly, diphenhydramine hypersensitivity has manifested itself in patients receiving systemic drug after being sensitized to it by topical application. Sensitization with systemic administration has also been reported.[Ref]
Hypersensitivity side effects of diphenhydramine have included rash, pruritus and eczema. Photosensitivity reactions have also been reported.[Ref]
The CNS depressant effect of diphenhydramine parallels its plasma concentrations. The plasma concentration threshold for sedation is 30 to 42 ng/mL, and to cause mental impairment is 58 to 74 ng/mL. Patients should be warned against driving while taking diphenhydramine.
Dystonic reactions have been accompanied by dizziness, mental confusion, rigidity, lip and tongue protrusion, trismus, torticollis, and swallowing difficulties and generally resolve spontaneously. Toxic encephalopathy has been reported in a child with chicken pox treated generously with topical diphenhydramine.
Delirium has been reported in elderly patients with mild dementia following a small oral dose of diphenhydramine[Ref]
Nervous system side effects of diphenhydramine have included depression with drowsiness and sedation in nearly all patients treated. Motor skills may be impaired. Dystonic reactions have been reported after single doses of diphenhydramine. Nervous system side effects of guaifenesin have occasionally included dizziness and headache.[Ref]
Ocular side effects of diphenhydramine have included blurred vision, diplopia, and dry eyes due to anticholinergic effects.[Ref]
Dermatologic side effects of guaifenesin have included rare reports of rash.[Ref]
1. "Product Information. Benadryl (diphenhydramine)." Parke-Davis, Morris Plains, NJ.
2. Schuller DE, Turkewitz D "Adverse effects of antihistamines." Postgrad Med 79 (1986): 75-86
3. Covington TR, Lawson LC, Young LL, eds. "Handbook of Nonprescription Drugs. 10th ed." Washington, DC: American Pharmaceutical Association (1993):
4. Davenport PM, Wilhelm RE "An unusual vasculitis due to diphenhydramine. Cutaneous and central nervous system involvement." Arch Dermatol 92 (1965): 577-80
5. Lawrence CM, Byrne JP "Eczematous eruption from oral diphenhydramine." Contact Dermatitis 7 (1981): 276-7
6. Heine A "Diphenhydramine: a forgotten allergen?" Contact Dermatitis 35 (1996): 311-2
7. Barranco P, LopezSerrano MC, MorenoAncillo A "Anaphylactic reaction due to diphenhydramine." Allergy 53 (1998): 814
8. Yamada S, Tanaka M, Kawahara Y, Inada M, Ohata Y "Photoallergic contact dermatitis due to diphenhydramine hydrochloride." Contact Dermatitis 38 (1998): 282
9. Coskey RJ "Contact dermatitis caused by diphenhydramine hydrochloride." J Am Acad Dermatol 8 (1983): 204-6
10. Emmett EA "Diphenhydramine photoallergy." Arch Dermatol 110 (1974): 249-52
11. Horio T "Allergic and photoallergic dermatitis from diphenhydramine." Arch Dermatol 112 (1976): 1124-6
12. Filloux F "Toxic encephalopathy caused by topically applied diphenhydramine." J Pediatr 108 (1986): 1018-20
13. Sexton JD, Pronchik DJ "Diphenhydramine induced psychosis with therapeutic doses." Am J Emerg Med 15 (1997): 548-9
14. Lavenstein BL, Cantor FK "Acute dystonia: an unusual reaction to diphenhydramine." JAMA 236 (1976): 291
15. Roila F, Donati D, Basurto C, Del Favero A "Diphenhydramine and acute dystonia ." Ann Intern Med 111 (1989): 92-3
16. Tejera CA, Saravay SM, Goldman E, Gluck L "Diphenhydramine-induced delirium in elderly hospitalized patients with mild dementia." Psychosomatics 35 (1994): 399-402
17. Ramaekers JG, Ohanlon JF "Acrivastine, terfenadine and diphenhydramine effects on driving performance as a function of dose and time after dosing." Eur J Clin Pharmacol 47 (1994): 261-6
18. Gengo F, Gabos C, Miller JK "The pharmacodynamics of diphenhydramine-induced drowsiness and changes in mental performance." Clin Pharmacol Ther 45 (1989): 15-21
19. Etzel JV "Diphenhydramine-induced acute dystonia." Pharmacotherapy 14 (1994): 492-6
20. Burns M, Moskowitz H "Effects of diphenhydramine and alcohol on skills performance." Eur J Clin Pharmacol 17 (1980): 259-66
21. Carruthers SG, Shoeman DW, Hignite CE, Azarnoff DL "Correlation between plasma diphenhydramine level and sedative and antihistamine effects." Clin Pharmacol Ther 23 (1978): 375-82
22. Vuurman EFPM, Vanveggel LMA, Sanders RL, Muntjewerff ND, Ohanlon JF "Effects of semprex-d and diphenhydramine on learning in young adults with seasonal allergic rhinitis." Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 76 (1996): 247-52
23. Santora J, Rozek S, Samie MR "Diphenhydramine-induced dystonia ." Clin Pharm 8 (1989): 471
24. Brait KA, Zagerman AJ "Dyskinesias after antihistamine use ." N Engl J Med 296 (1977): 111
25. "Product Information. Robitussin (guaifenesin)." Wyeth-Ayerst Laboratories, Philadelphia, PA.
26. Richardson GS, Roehrs TA, Rosenthal L, Koshorek G, Roth T "Tolerance to daytime sedative effects of h1 antihistamines." J Clin Psychopharmacol 22 (2002): 511-5
27. Borbely AA, Youmbi-Balderer G "Effect of diphenhydramine on subjective sleep parameters and on motor activity during bedtime." Int J Clin Pharmacol Ther Toxicol 26 (1988): 392-6
28. Jones B, Lal S "Tardive dyskinesia uncovered after ingestion of Sominex, an over-the- counter drug." Can J Psychiatry 30 (1985): 370-1
29. Simons FER, Fraser TG, Reggin JD, Simons KJ "Comparison of the central nervous system effects produced by six h-1-receptor antagonists." Clin Exp Allergy 26 (1996): 1092-7
30. Seedor JA, Lamberts D, Bergmann RB, Perry HD "Filamentary keratitis associated with diphenhydramine hydrochloride (Benadryl)." Am J Ophthalmol 101 (1986): 376-7
31. Hopfenbeck JR, Cowley DS, Radant A, Greenblatt DJ, Roybyrne PP "Effects of diphenhydramine on human eye movements." Psychopharmacology (Berl) 118 (1995): 280-6
Not all side effects for diphenhydramine / guaifenesin may be reported. You should always consult a doctor or healthcare professional for medical advice. Side effects can be reported to the FDA here.
More about diphenhydramine/guaifenesin
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided is accurate, up-to-date and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. In addition, the drug information contained herein may be time sensitive and should not be utilized as a reference resource beyond the date hereof. This material does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients, or recommend therapy. This information is a reference resource designed as supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill , knowledge, and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. The absence of a warning for a given drug or combination thereof in no way should be construed to indicate safety, effectiveness, or appropriateness for any given patient. Drugs.com does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of materials provided. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the substances you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.