Denosumab Side Effects
Not all side effects for denosumab may be reported. You should always consult a doctor or healthcare professional for medical advice. Side effects can be reported to the FDA here.
For the Consumer
Applies to denosumab: subcutaneous solution
In addition to its needed effects, some unwanted effects may be caused by denosumab. In the event that any of these side effects do occur, they may require medical attention.
If any of the following side effects occur while taking denosumab, check with your doctor or nurse immediately:More common
- Back pain
- blistering, crusting, irritation, itching, or reddening of the skin
- bloody or cloudy urine
- cracked, dry, or scaly skin
- difficult, burning, or painful urination
- frequent urge to urinate
- muscle or bone pain
- pain in the arms or legs
- skin rash, encrusted, scaly, and oozing
- Abdominal or stomach cramps
- arm or jaw pain
- bloating or swelling of the face, arms, hands, lower legs, or feet
- body aches or pain
- chest pain or discomfort
- chest tightness or heaviness
- difficulty with breathing
- difficulty with moving
- dryness or soreness of the throat
- ear congestion
- fast or irregular heartbeat
- fever or chills
- joint pain
- loss of voice
- muscle cramps in the hands, arms, feet, legs, or face
- muscle stiffness
- numbness and tingling around the mouth, fingertips, hands, or feet
- pain in the lower back, bottom, or hips
- pain in the upper leg
- painful blisters on the trunk of the body
- pale skin
- rapid weight gain
- runny or stuffy nose
- swollen joints
- tender, swollen glands in the neck
- trouble swallowing
- troubled breathing with exertion
- unusual bleeding or bruising
- unusual tiredness or weakness
- unusual weight gain or loss
- voice changes
- Abdominal or stomach discomfort
- blood in the stool
- change in bowel habits
- clear or bloody discharge from the nipple
- darkened urine
- difficulty with swallowing or eating
- dimpling of the breast skin
- inverted nipple
- itching, pain, redness, swelling, tenderness, or warmth on the skin
- loss of appetite
- lower back or side pain
- lump in the breast or under the arm
- lump or swelling in the abdomen or stomach
- pains in the stomach, side, or abdomen, possibly radiating to the back
- persistent crusting or scaling of the nipple
- raised, firm, and bright red patches of the skin on the arm or leg
- redness or swelling of the breast
- sore on the skin of the breast that does not heal
- unexplained weight loss
- yellow eyes or skin
- Heavy feeling in the jaw
- loose teeth
- pain, swelling, or numbness in the mouth or jaw
Some of the side effects that can occur with denosumab may not need medical attention. As your body adjusts to the medicine during treatment these side effects may go away. Your health care professional may also be able to tell you about ways to reduce or prevent some of these side effects. If any of the following side effects continue, are bothersome or if you have any questions about them, check with your health care professional:Less common
- Dizziness or lightheadedness
- excess air or gas in the stomach or intestines
- feeling of constant movement of self or surroundings
- full feeling
- lack or loss of strength
- passing gas
- redness, pain, itching, burning, swelling, or a lump under your skin where the shot was given
- sensation of spinning
- trouble sleeping
- upper abdominal or stomach pain
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to denosumab: subcutaneous solution
Musculoskeletal side effects have included osteonecrosis of the jaw, back pain, pain in extremity, musculoskeletal pain, bone pain, myalgia, and spinal osteoarthritis.
Metabolic side effects have included hypocalcemia and hypercholesterolemia. Postmarketing reports have included severe symptomatic hypocalcemia including fatal cases.
Dermatologic side effects have included dermatitis, eczema, rash and pruritus.
General side effects have included herpes zoster, peripheral edema and serious skin infections, as well as infections of the abdomen, urinary tract, and ear.
Cardiovascular side effects have included angina pectoris and atrial fibrillation.
Gastrointestinal side effects have included upper abdominal pain, flatulence and gastroesophageal reflux disease.
Nervous system side effects have included vertigo, sciatica, insomnia, and asthenia.
Respiratory side effects have included upper respiratory tract infection, pneumonia and pharyngitis.
Genitourinary side effects have included cystitis.
Hematologic side effects have included anemia.
More about denosumab
Related treatment guides
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided is accurate, up-to-date and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. In addition, the drug information contained herein may be time sensitive and should not be utilized as a reference resource beyond the date hereof. This material does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients, or recommend therapy. This information is a reference resource designed as supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill , knowledge, and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. The absence of a warning for a given drug or combination thereof in no way should be construed to indicate safety, effectiveness, or appropriateness for any given patient. Drugs.com does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of materials provided. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the substances you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.