Chlorpheniramine / hydrocodone Side Effects
Not all side effects for chlorpheniramine / hydrocodone may be reported. You should always consult a doctor or healthcare professional for medical advice. Side effects can be reported to the FDA here.
For the Consumer
Applies to chlorpheniramine / hydrocodone: oral capsule extended release, oral suspension extended release
Other dosage forms:
In addition to its needed effects, some unwanted effects may be caused by chlorpheniramine / hydrocodone. In the event that any of these side effects do occur, they may require medical attention.
You should check with your doctor immediately if any of these side effects occur when taking chlorpheniramine / hydrocodone:Incidence not known
- Decrease in frequency of urination
- decrease in urine volume
- difficult, painful, or troubled breathing
- difficulty in passing urine (dribbling)
- irregular, fast or slow, or shallow breathing
- pale or blue lips, fingernails, or skin
- tightness in the chest
Some of the side effects that can occur with chlorpheniramine / hydrocodone may not need medical attention. As your body adjusts to the medicine during treatment these side effects may go away. Your health care professional may also be able to tell you about ways to reduce or prevent some of these side effects. If any of the following side effects continue, are bothersome or if you have any questions about them, check with your health care professional:Incidence not known
- false or unusual sense of well-being
- fear or nervousness
- itching skin or rash
- unusual drowsiness, dullness, tiredness, weakness, or feeling of sluggishness
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to chlorpheniramine / hydrocodone: oral capsule extended release, oral liquid, oral suspension extended release
Nervous system side effects have included sedation, drowsiness, mental clouding, lethargy, impairment of mental performance, anxiety, fear, dysphoria, euphoria, dizziness, psychic dependence, and mood changes.[Ref]
Dermatologic side effects have included rash and pruritus.[Ref]
Gastrointestinal side effects have included nausea, vomiting, and constipation.[Ref]
Genitourinary side effects have included ureteral spasm, spasm of versicle sphincters, and urinary retention.[Ref]
Respiratory side effects have included respiratory depression, dryness of the pharynx, and occasional tightness of the chest.[Ref]
The long-acting hydrocodone-containing cough product (marketed as Tussionex Pennkinetic Extended-Release Suspension) may produce dose-related respiratory depression by acting directly on brain stem respiratory centers. Its use of been associated with fatal respiratory depression.[Ref]
General side effects have included impairment of physical performance.[Ref]
1. "Product Information. HyTan (chlorpheniramine-hydrocodone)." Prasco Laboratories, Cincinnati, OH.
2. "Product Information. Tussionex PennKinetic (chlorpheniramine-hydrocodone)." Aventis Pharmaceuticals, Bridgewater, NJ.
More about chlorpheniramine/hydrocodone
- Chlorpheniramine/hydrocodone extended release capsules
- Chlorpheniramine/hydrocodone extended-release suspension
- Chlorpheniramine/hydrocodone solution
- Chlorpheniramine and hydrocodone
- Hydrocodone and chlorpheniramine (Advanced Reading)
- Hydrocodone and chlorpheniramine polistirex (Advanced Reading)
- Hydrocodone and Chlorpheniramine (FDA)
- Hydrocodone Bitartrate/Chlorpheniramine Maleate (Wolters Kluwer)
Related treatment guides
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided is accurate, up-to-date and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. In addition, the drug information contained herein may be time sensitive and should not be utilized as a reference resource beyond the date hereof. This material does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients, or recommend therapy. This information is a reference resource designed as supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill , knowledge, and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. The absence of a warning for a given drug or combination thereof in no way should be construed to indicate safety, effectiveness, or appropriateness for any given patient. Drugs.com does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of materials provided. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the substances you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.