People on the Move - September 2013
• Dr. Sripada Chandrasekhar is appointed president and global head of human resources, Dr. Reddy's. Dr. Chandrasekhar was VP and head of human resources for the India/South Asia region, IBM. Dr. Reddy's (drreddys.com) is an integrated global pharmaceutical company, committed to providing affordable and innovative medicines for healthier lives.
• Dr. Michael Hall is named senior VP of clinical development, Ironwood Pharmaceuticals. Dr. Hall was chief medical officer and senior VP at Repligen Corp. Ironwood (ironwoodpharma.com) is committed to the art and science of making medicines, from discovery through commercialization.
• Daniel J. O’Connor is promoted to president and CEO, Advaxis Inc. Mr. O'Connor was executive VP. Dr. James Patton is elected non-executive chairman of the board. Dr. Patton is a founding member of the Advaxis board and VP of Millennium Oncology Management Inc. The two will replace Thomas A. Moore, formerly chairman and CEO, who will continue to serve on the board and as a consultant to the company. Advaxis (advaxis.com) is a clinical stage biotechnology company developing the next generation of immunotherapies for cancer and infectious diseases.
• Peter Kiener, Ph.D., is appointed chief scientific officer, Ambrx. Dr. Kiener was a co-founder of Zyngenia. Ambrx (ambrx.com) is a clinical stage biopharmaceutical company using an expanded genetic code to create best-in-class biotherapeutics, including ADCs, bispecific antibodies and proteins with improved pharmacologic properties.
• Douglas W. Losordo, M.D., is named chief medical officer, NeoStem Inc. Dr. Losordo was VP, new therapies development, regenerative medicine, and Baxter Ventures at Baxter International. Andrew L. Pecora, M.D., the company’s outgoing chief medical officer, will assume the role of chief visionary officer. Robert Dickey IV becomes chief financial officer. Mr. Dickey joins the company from Hemispherx Biopharma Inc., where he was senior VP. Larry May, NeoStem’s former chief financial officer, is assuming the newly created position of VP, strategic initiatives. NeoStem (neostem.com) develops novel proprietary cell therapy products.
• Gregory D. Perry has resigned as executive VP and chief financial officer, ImmunoGen Inc. Mr. Perry joined the company in January 2009 and was promoted to executive VP in March 2011. Daniel M. Junius, ImmunoGen’s president and CEO, will serve as acting chief financial officer while the company searches for Mr. Perry’s permanent replacement. ImmunoGen (immunogen.com) is a biotechnology company that develops novel anticancer therapeutics using its proprietary antibody-drug conjugate technology.
• David Smith is appointed CEO of the service division of Galapagos NV. Mr. Smith was director of finance at the Cambridge University Hospitals; he had previously been chief financial officer of Galapagos for two years. Galapagos (glpg.com) is a clinical stage biotech company focused on developing novel medicines.
• Lewis Barrett is named senior VP, commercial strategy, Synthetic Biologics Inc. Mr. Barrett was assistant VP, established products at Pfizer. Synthetic Biologics (syntheticbiologics.com) is a biotechnology company focused on the development of biologics for the prevention and treatment of serious infectious diseases.
• Stephen Kennedy becomes senior VP of manufacturing, operations, and supply chain, Histogenics Corp. Mr. Kennedy was executive VP of research and development at Mascoma Corp. Vladimir Scerbin is appointed VP of clinical affairs. Mr. Scerbin was VP of international clinical affairs at Covidien. Histogenics (histogenics.com) is a late-stage company developing novel tissue repair solutions initially targeting orthopedics using the latest advances in molecular biology, materials sciences, and tissue engineering.
• Jeffrey Jonas, M.D., is appointed CEO of Sage Therapeutics. Dr. Jonas was president of regenerative medicine at Shire Plc. He succeeds Kevin Starr, who has served as interim CEO since the company’s founding. Stephen Kanes, M.D., Ph.D., is named chief medical officer. Dr. Kanes was executive director/therapeutic area clinical director for the inflammation, neuroscience, and respiratory GMED division of AstraZeneca. Kimi Iguchi becomes chief financial officer. Ms. Iguchi was chief operating officer, North America, for Santhera Pharmaceuticals. Sage (sagerx.com) is a neuroscience-focused company developing therapeutics to treat CNS specialty and orphan diseases.
• Arthur Tzianabos, Ph.D., becomes chief scientific officer, OvaScience. Dr. Tzianabos was senior VP and head, research and early development, Shire. OvaScience (ovascience.com) is a life sciences company focused on the discovery, development, and commercialization of new treatments for infertility.
• Dr. Andreas Menrad is appointed chief scientific officer, Algeta ASA. Dr. Menrad was chief scientific officer at Ablynx NV. Dr. Thomas Ramdahl is promoted to chief operating officer, from executive VP. Algeta (algeta.com) is focused on the development of novel targeted cancer therapeutics.
• André C. Muller is named chief financial officer, Actelion Ltd. Mr. Muller was chief financial officer, Pierre Fabre SA. He succeeds Andrew J. Oakley, who leaves to focus on outside opportunities. Actelion (actelion.com) is a biopharmaceutical company specializing in innovative science related to the endothelium – the single layer of cells separating every blood vessel from the blood stream.
• Terrence Moore becomes executive VP and chief commercial officer, Acadia Pharmaceuticals Inc. Mr. Moore was a principal of Cook-Moore-Consulting. Acadia (acadia-pharm.com) is a biopharmaceutical company focused on innovative treatments that address unmet medical needs in neurological and related central nervous system disorders.
• Jaye Viner, M.D., is named chief medical officer and executive VP, Curis Inc. Dr. Viner was medical director at Millennium: The Takeda Oncology Company. She replaces Maurizio Voi, M.D., who has left the company to pursue other opportunities. Tania Chander becomes VP of product development. Ms. Chander was associate director, product development team lead at MedImmune LLC. Curis (curis.com) is an oncology-focused drug development company seeking to develop novel drug candidates for the treatment of human cancers.
• Jonathan Rubin, M.D., becomes chief medical officer, Alcobra Ltd. Dr. Rubin was medical director in global medical affairs, Shire Pharmaceuticals. Alcobra (alcobra-pharma.com) is an emerging biopharmaceutical company primarily focused on the development and commercialization of a proprietary drug, MG01CI, to treat ADHD.
• James D’Arecca is named chief accounting officer, Actavis Inc. Mr. D’Arecca previously served in a similar role at Bausch & Lomb. Actavis (actavis.com) is a global, integrated specialty pharmaceutical company focused on developing, manufacturing and distributing generic, brand, and biosimilar products.
• Barry Labinger is appointed executive VP and president, Biosciences Division, Emergent BioSolutions Inc. Mr. Labinger was executive VP and chief commercial officer at Human Genome Sciences Inc. Emergent BioSolutions (emergentbiosolutions.com) is a specialty pharmaceutical company seeking to protect and enhance life by offering specialized products to healthcare providers and governments to address medical needs and emerging health threats.
• Doug Plassche becomes executive VP of operations, Elite Pharmaceuticals Inc. Mr. Plassche was managing director of the New Jersey Solid Oral Dose Operations at Actavis. Elite (elitepharma.com) develops oral sustained and controlled release products.
• Michael Dunn is appointed senior VP, corporate development, CalciMedica. Mr. Dunn was senior VP, corporate development at Biocept Inc. CalciMedica (calcimedica.com) is dedicated to the discovery and development of novel drugs for the treatment of autoimmune and inflammatory diseases.
• Deborah DuFresne is named VP, strategic portfolio selection and management, InnoPharma Inc. Ms. DuFresne was senior director, project management, product identification and development at Impax Laboratories. InnoPharma (innopharmainc.com) is a sterile product development company focused on developing complex generic and innovative specialty pharmaceutical products in injectable and ophthalmic dosage forms.
• Larry J. Singer is appointed VP, manufacturing, Hyperion Therapeutics. Mr. Singer was president of NexGen Consulting Group LLC. Hyperion (hyperiontx.com) is a commercial stage biopharmaceutical company committed to developing and delivering life-changing treatments for orphan diseases and hepatology.
• Stephen R. Sun, M.D., is named chief medical officer, ParagonRx. Dr. Sun was a medical officer at FDA. ParagonRx (paragonrx.com), an inVentiv Health company, is a provider of risk and benefit consulting services to the pharmaceutical and medical device industries.
• Chris Schneider becomes senior VP, commercial strategy and forecasting, Ipsos Healthcare. Mr. Schneider led market research teams at another healthcare market research agency. Ipsos (ipsos.com) is an independent market research company controlled and managed by research professionals.
Posted: September 2013