People on the move, December 2013
• Michael Berendt, Ph.D., is named CEO of Bioniche Life Sciences Inc. He replaces Graeme McRae, who assumes the role of founder and chairman emeritus. Dr. Berendt was president and CEO of Aegera. Bioniche (bioniche.com) is a research-based, technology-driven Canadian biopharmaceutical company focused on the discovery, development, manufacturing, and marketing of proprietary and innovative products for human and animal health markets worldwide.
• Marc Dunoyer has been promoted to chief financial officer of AstraZeneca. Mr. Dunoyer was previously executive VP, global portfolio and product strategy. AstraZeneca (astrazeneca.com) is a global, innovation-driven biopharmaceutical business that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialization of prescription medicines primarily for the treatment of cardiovascular, metabolic, respiratory, inflammation, autoimmune, oncology, infection and neuroscience diseases.
• Jeffrey Winton becomes senior VP, chief communications officer, Astellas US LLC, a subsidiary of Astellas Pharma Inc. Mr. Winton was VP/head, global communications, Eli Lilly and Co. Astellas (astellas.com) is a pharmaceutical company dedicated to improving the health of people around the world through the provision of innovative and reliable pharmaceutical products.
• Dr. Jonathan Knowles is appointed executive chairman of the board of Immunocore Ltd. He succeeds Nicholas Cross, who has been chairman since the company was founded in 2008, and will remain on the board as deputy chairman. Dr. Knowles has been a non-executive director of Immunocore since 2010 and was formerly president of Group Research and a member of the executive committee at Roche. Immunocore (immunocore.com) is a privately owned, clinical-stage biotechnology company developing a highly innovative platform technology that generates novel drugs called ImmTACs for the treatment of cancer and viral infection.
• Damian Marron is named CEO of TxCell SA. Mr. Marron was CEO of Cytheris SA. Francois Meyer, previously TxCell’s CEO and chairman of the board, has been appointed executive chairman of the board. TxCell (txcell.com) is developing innovative personalized cell-based immunotherapies for the treatment of severe chronic inflammatory diseases with high medical need using the company’s unique and proprietary technology platform based on the properties of autologous antigen-specific regulatory T lymphocytes.
• Stephen W. Zaruby is named president and CEO of Aurinia Pharmaceuticals. Mr. Zaruby was president of ZymoGenetics Inc. Aurinia (auriniapharma.com) is a clinical-stage pharmaceutical company focused on the global nephrology market.
• Wendy Perrow is promoted to CEO of Alba Therapeutics Corp. She was president and chief operating officer. Alba (albatherapeutics.com) is a privately held, clinical-stage biopharma company focused on the discovery, development, and commercialization of pharmaceutical products to treat autoimmune and inflammatory diseases.
• Richard P. Becker Jr. is appointed CEO of Voltarra Pharmaceuticals Inc. Mr. Becker has assumed progressive commercial leadership roles for Alcon, Merck, Novartis, OSI Pharmaceuticals, Bayer, and BASF. Voltarra (voltarrapharma.com) features a portfolio of early-stage small molecules and late-stage novel clinical compounds for rheumatology, the central nervous system, oncology, and immunology, which the company obtained through the acquisitions of IMC Biotechnology and Renascense Pharmaceuticals.
• Dr. Penelope Ward becomes chief medical officer, Karus Therapeutics. Dr. Ward was chief medical officer at NovImmune SA. Karus (karustherapeutics.com) develops innovative medicines that have breakthrough potential in treating inflammatory disease and cancer.
• William I. Ramage, D.Phil., has been named chief development officer of Acusphere Inc. He was an executive consultant at Acusphere since March 2000. Acusphere (acusphere.com) is a specialty pharma company focused on the development and regulatory approval of Imagify, a cardiovascular drug for detecting coronary artery disease.
• Jude Dinges becomes senior VP, chief commercial officer, Aeterna Zentaris Inc. Mr. Dinges was executive director of region sales, bone health business unit, Amgen Inc. Aeterna Zentaris (aezsinc.com) is a specialty biopharmaceutical company engaged in developing novel treatments in oncology and endocrinology.
• Paul Marshall is appointed senior VP, technical operations, A.P. Pharma. Mr. Marshall was senior VP at Amylin Pharmaceuticals Inc. Brian Drazba becomes VP of finance and chief financial officer. Mr. Drazba was VP of finance and chief accounting officer for ISTA Pharmaceuticals Inc. A.P. Pharma (appharma.com) is a specialty pharmaceutical company developing products using its proprietary Biochronomer polymer-based drug delivery platform. The platform is designed to improve the therapeutic profile of injectable pharmaceuticals by converting them from products that must be injected once or twice per day to products that need to be injected only once every one or two weeks.
• Philip Wood is promoted to VP and commercial therapeutic area head hemophilia, Sobi. Mr. Wood joined the company in March 2012 as global strategic lead for the hemophilia A team. Sobi (sobi.com) is an international specialty healthcare company dedicated to rare diseases.
• Joseph Boyd becomes director of medical development and advocacy at Nicox Inc., which is the U.S. subsidiary of Nicox S.A. Mr. Boyd was director of compliance operations for Astellas US LLC. Nicox (nicox.com), with headquarters in France, is an emerging international company focused on the ophthalmic market.
Posted: December 2013