Health Tip: Your Diet After Cancer Treatment
-- Once you've completed treatment for cancer, it's not the time to stop planning healthy meals.
The American Cancer Society offers these suggestions for maintaining a healthy diet after cancer treatment:
- Ask you doctor if there are any foods that you should avoid.
- Work with a dietitian to develop a healthy and nutritious meal plan.
- Continue to eat at least five to seven servings of fruits and vegetables each day. Each time you shop, select a fruit or veggie that you haven't had before.
- Eat whole grain breads and cereals, which are high in fiber.
- Bake or broil, instead of frying.
- Stay away from smoked, pickled and salt-cured foods.
- Select low-fat milk and dairy products.
- Limit the amount of alcohol you drink.
Posted: December 2008
Recommended for you