Health Tip: Is Your Child Getting Too Much Sugar?
-- Too much sugar in a child's diet can contribute to weight and dental problems.
The Baylor College of Medicine offers these suggestions for limiting the amount of sugar your child gets:
- When baking, cut sugar down to two-thirds of what the recipe says.
- Sweeten cookies and other baked goods with dried fruits instead of candy or chocolate.
- Instead of offering your child a muffin or a doughnut for breakfast, serve a bagel.
- Serve natural, unsweetened fruit juice instead of sodas or other sugar-laden beverages.
- Save candy for a special treat. Only allow your child candy once or twice a week.
Posted: January 2009