Health Tip: Are You at Risk for Gallstones?
-- Gallstones occur when fluids in the gallbladder solidify and turn into stones that can trigger severe pain. In some cases, they can lead to surgical removal of the gallbladder.
The American Academy of Family Physicians offers this list of common risk factors for gallstones:
- Being female.
- Being of Mexican or American Indian heritage.
- Being diabetic.
- Being older than age 60.
- Being pregnant.
- Taking birth control pills.
- Being overweight.
- Eating a high-cholesterol diet.
- Having recently lost a lot of weight.
- Having a personal or family history of gallstones.
Posted: May 2009
Recommended for you