Health Tip: Are You Pregnant and Depressed?
-- Many women become depressed while they are pregnant, or shortly after the baby is born.
The U.S. National Women's Health Information Center says these factors increase the likelihood of developing depression during or after pregnancy:
- Having been depressed or had another mental illness prior to pregnancy.
- Having a family history of depression or other mental illness.
- Getting inadequate support from loved ones.
- Feeling anxious or negative about being pregnant.
- Having had problems with a prior pregnancy.
- Dealing with financial or marital problems, or other major life stresses.
- Being pregnant at a young age.
- Abusing drugs or alcohol.
Posted: September 2009