Health Tip: Are You Anemic?
-- Anemia occurs either when the blood is deficient in red blood cells, or it lacks enough of a protein called hemoglobin.
Some forms of anemia can be life-threatening if not diagnosed and treated, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services says.
Here's the agency's list of warning signs that you may be anemic:
- Feeling tired and weak.
- Experiencing paleness, dizziness, headache or shortness of breath.
- Having a lower than normal body temperature.
- Having cold or numb hands and feet.
- Having pains in your chest, or a very fast or abnormal heartbeat.
- Feeling irritable.
- Doing poorly at work or school.
Posted: December 2008