Health Tip: Why Baby Won't Breast-Feed
-- Sometimes, babies may stop wanting to breast-feed for a short period, for a variety of reasons. This is not necessarily an indication that your baby no longer needs to breast-feed.
The Nemours Foundation offers this list of possible reasons why your baby may take a break from breast-feeding for a few days:
- New foods or other dietary changes may make your milk taste different.
- Your baby is teething, and has sore gums that make feeding painful.
- You are stressed, and your baby notices.
- You've changed your breast-feeding routine.
- You reacted loudly to an accidental bite, frightening your baby.
- You've changed your perfume or deodorant, and your baby notices the different smell.
- Your baby may have an ear infection, stuffy nose or other condition that makes breast-feeding painful or uncomfortable.
Posted: March 2009
Recommended for you