Health Tip: Wearing Flip Flops
-- Flip flops may be comfy footwear, but they also make your feet more susceptible to injury.
The American Podiatric Medical Association offers these flip flop safety suggestions:
- Invest in a new pair of flip flops each year or whenever they look very worn.
- Take care of any irritation between the toes from the toe thong, which could otherwise lead to a blister and a possible infection.
- Since flip flops don't offer much arch support, opt for sturdier footwear when you're walking a long distance.
- If your foot hangs off the end of a flip flop, invest in a bigger pair.
- Never wear flip flops to do yard work, especially when cutting grass.
- Don't play sports in flip flops.
Posted: September 2012