Health Tip: Wear and Tear on the Knees
-- Knee joints can wear as you age, or after years of high-impact exercise.
Here are ways to help minimize damage to knees, courtesy of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons:
- Avoid activities that tend to damage the knees, such as running, tennis, baseball and basketball.
- Engage in low-impact activities, such as swimming, biking, golf or walking.
- Talk to your doctor about anti-inflammatory medications, or joint supplements to help preserve the knees. Anti-inflammatory medications may also be injected by your doctor.
- Physical therapy and icing the knees can help improve function.
- Protective gear such as a brace, splint or elastic bandage can help support a weakened knee.
Posted: April 2008