Health Tip: Ways to Treat Positional Plagiocephaly
-- Positional plagiocephaly, also called flattened head syndrome, typically occurs when a young infant repeatedly sleeps in the same position.
The Nemours Foundation offers this list of potential treatment options:
- Alternate which side of the head your baby sleeps on.
- If your pediatrician approves, use a sleep wedge to help baby sleep on alternating sides.
- Move your baby's crib to a different area of the room if baby is turning the head to look at something, such as a window.
- Give baby plenty of tummy time during the day.
- Severe positional plagiocephaly may require treatment with a custom-made helmet or head band.
Posted: May 2010