Health Tip: Wash Fruits and Vegetables
- While it's important to eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables each day, it's also crucial to wash them before eating.
Here are some guidelines, courtesy of the University of Maine Cooperative Extension:
- Wash any raw fruit or vegetable before peeling, cutting, eating or cooking.
- Try a fruit and vegetable wash that is designed to remove bacteria and pesticides.
- Soak and wash produce in distilled water for one to two minutes.
- Use a vegetable brush to scrub any produce with a thick skin.
- Wash any produce that you grew yourself, or that was grown by someone else.
- Thoroughly wash your hands and any cutting or preparation surfaces before preparing fresh produce.
Posted: September 2007
Recommended for you