Health Tip: When Varicose Veins Are a Problem
-- Varicose veins are enlarged, bulging veins often found on the thighs, calves or inside the leg that can cause significant pain when standing or walking. They are rarely serious but sometimes warrant evaluation by a doctor.
The Womenshealth.gov website lists these signs that varicose veins should be seen by a doctor:
- When varicose veins are tender to the touch, warm, swollen and red.
- If a rash or sores appear on the leg in the ankle area.
- If skin color changes or skin thickens around the ankle or calf.
- If a varicose vein bleeds.
- If symptoms affect your ability to do daily tasks.
- If their appearance bothers you.
Posted: January 2013