Health Tip: Understand Your Risk of Heart Disease
-- Coronary artery disease occurs when plaque builds up in the vessels and restricts blood flow to the heart.
The U.S. National Heart Lung and Blood Institute says common risk factors for CAD include:
- Having high blood pressure, high LDL, or "bad," cholesterol or low HDL or "good," cholesterol.
- Being a smoker, overweight or obese.
- Having insulin resistance or being diabetic.
- Having metabolic syndrome.
- Getting insufficient exercise.
- Eating an unhealthy diet that's high in saturated fat, sodium or sugar.
- Being older.
- Having a family history of heart disease.
Posted: February 2014
Recommended for you