Health Tip: Trick-or-Treating Safely
-- Halloween can be great fun for children and parents alike. But parents still need to enforce some rules to help ensure a safe night of trick-or-treating.
The National Safety Council offers this advice:
- Children under age 12 should always be accompanied by an adult.
- Develop a neighborhood route for children to follow. It should only include well-lit areas with which children are familiar.
- Make sure children understand they should never go into a stranger's home, and that they should only approach houses that are well-lit.
- Decide what time your child will return home, and tell them not to eat any candy before they get home.
- Make sure your child understands traffic safety rules.
- In case the child gets separated from a group, attach a piece of paper to your child's costume with his or her name, address and phone number.
Posted: October 2008