Health Tip: Taming Irritable Bowel
- Irritable bowel syndrome affects the way that the intestines move food through the body. Symptoms can be triggered by stress, anxiety, and sometimes certain foods.
The American Academy of Family Physicians offers these suggestions to help keep IBS symptoms under control:
- Eat a variety of healthy foods, and stay away from foods that are high in fat.
- Drink lots of water.
- Eat several small meals throughout the day, rather than just a few larger ones.
- Find ways to cope with stress and anxiety.
- Don't use laxatives, as you can become dependent on them, and they can weaken your intestines.
Posted: November 2007
Recommended for you