Health Tip: Tame Your Food Cravings
-- Food cravings can pull you off course when you're trying to diet and eat in a healthful way.
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics offers these suggestions to help you curb food cravings:
- Cravings often are short-lived. Try to wait at least 20 minutes before you act on a craving.
- Opt for a healthier alternative to what you crave. Choose fat-free chips instead of potato chips, or bake an apple for a sweet treat.
- Buy your favorite treats in single-serving sizes. For example, buy a single cookie, rather than a whole box.
- Have regularly scheduled snack times and enjoy a healthy snack that you've already stocked.
- Indulge in a social treat -- rather than food -- by calling a friend.
- Keep a log of your cravings. Record what you were doing when you craved, how long you felt the craving and how you handled it.
Posted: May 2012
Recommended for you