Health Tip: Talk to Loved Ones About Your Alzheimer's
-- Being diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease is difficult to accept, and it can be uncomfortable to share these feelings with your loved ones.
Here are some suggestions, courtesy of the Alzheimer's Association:
- Offer a basic explanation of the disease; that it is not just normal part of aging, but a brain disease that significantly impairs memory and behavior.
- Encourage others to learn more about the disease, including the possibility of joining a support group.
- Talk to your family and friends about your reaction to the diagnosis, sharing your fears and concerns.
- Tell them what you may need and want from them in the future, and that your relationship and their support are important to you.
- Explain that you enjoy and want their company, despite pending physical and mental changes triggered by the disease.
Posted: May 2008
Recommended for you