Health Tip: Stretch Your Hamstrings
-- The hamstring is a muscle that runs along the back of the thigh. Pulling this muscle can be quite painful.
A simple stretch can help prevent a pulled hamstring if done before and after exercise, according to the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons:
- Sit down on the floor and straighten out one leg, and bend your other leg.
- Place the sole of your foot of your bent leg against the inside of your straight leg.
- Leaning forward a little bit, extend your arms and touch the toes of your straight leg.
- Keep your toes pointing upward and your foot and ankle relaxed.
- Hold that position for 30 seconds.
- Switch and perform the stretch on the other leg.
Posted: September 2008