Health Tip: Staying Safe on the Playground
-- Playgrounds are great sources of fun for children -- as long as they're safe.
The U.S. National Safety Council says parents should inspect playgrounds before their children use them for the following safety features:
- A soft ground surface such as mulch, sand, wood chips, rubber mats or shredded tires, instead of concrete, grass or dirt.
- Soft swing seats, and swings that are set apart from other playground equipment. Look for full-bucket seats rather than partial ones that children could slide out of.
- Slides that are firmly anchored to the ground with sturdy handrails and traction on the stairs. A bar at the top of every slide should force children to sit down.
- Seesaws that are spring-loaded, instead of adjustable seesaws with chains.
- Climbing equipment that is well secured and has sturdy handrails and steps.
Posted: August 2009
Recommended for you