Health Tip: Soothe Swollen Gums
-- Gums can swell and become tender as a result of gingivitis, a side effect of certain drugs or pregnancy.
The U.S. National Library of Medicine suggests how to care for swollen gums:
- Don't expose your gums to irritating substances such as tobacco, mouthwashes or alcohol.
- Eat a balanced, nutritious diet.
- Try a different brand of toothpaste if your gums appear sensitive to your toothpaste.
- Practice good oral hygiene, including a periodontal or dental visit every six months.
- If your condition is caused by a drug, ask your doctor about changing medications. Don't switch any medication before you consult with your doctor.
Posted: July 2011