Health Tip: Some Medications Can Help Trigger Heat-Related Illness
-- Heat exhaustion and heatstroke occur when the body becomes overheated and can't cool itself back down.
Some medications may increase your risk of heat-related illness. The American Academy of Family Physicians offers this list:
- Antihistamines to prevent allergy symptoms.
- Some medications to manage cough and cold symptoms.
- Some heart and blood pressure medications.
- Amphetamine diet pills.
- Irritable bowel and irritable bladder medicines.
- Water pills.
- Thyroid medications.
- Anti-seizure medications.
- Some medications used to manage mental health conditions.
Posted: June 2009