Health Tip: Skateboard Safely
-- Skateboarding safely requires knowing how to protect yourself. The popular sport contributes to more than 15,000 injuries each year, U.S. government statistics show.
The National Safety Council offers these safety suggestions:
- Inspect your skateboard before every use.
- Avoid skateboarding in the street, and follow all traffic and municipal laws.
- Protect yourself with safety gear, such as knee pads and a helmet.
- Avoid skating in crowded areas where others aren't skating.
- Never ride with more than one person on a skateboard.
- Never skateboard while holding on to a car, bike, etc.
- Practice falling safely on grass or another soft surface.
Posted: August 2010
Recommended for you