Health Tip: Signs That You May Have Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
-- People with obsessive-compulsive disorder have uncontrolled thoughts that compel them to develop habits or rituals to ease their anxiousness.
The Anxiety Disorders Association of America offers this list of potential warning signs of OCD:
- Persistent irrational fears or concerns, commonly about being dirty or getting sick.
- Obsessing about things being in order or arranged a certain way.
- Being afraid that your thoughts or actions will cause harm to you or someone else.
- Hoarding objects with no value.
- Irrational doubts or fears that you will harm someone else.
- Impulsively and repeatedly cleaning your body or your home.
- Repeatedly checking something, such as if the doors are locked, appliances are unplugged or the stove is turned off.
- Habits such as repeatedly saying a word or a name, or walking in the same place or in the same way.
- Constantly reliving conversations, repeating words or counting.
Posted: July 2009