Health Tip: Signs That a Child May Be Autistic
-- Autism is a childhood developmental disorder that has no cure. Autistic children have problems with social interaction, communication, and may engage in repetitive behaviors.
The National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke lists these common symptoms of autism:
- Seeming withdrawn, unresponsive or indifferent to others in social settings.
- Not responding when the person's name is called.
- Not making eye contact with other people.
- Difficulty communicating with others.
- Repetitive movements or behaviors, such as rocking, twirling or self-abuse.
- Disinterest in or aversion to physical affection.
- Delayed speech and verbal development.
- Not knowing how to play with other children.
Posted: November 2008