Health Tip: Should You Take NSAIDs?
-- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) are popular pain relievers, usually sold over the counter. But they may not be safe for everyone.
The American Academy of Family Physicians says you should speak with your doctor before you take an NSAID if you meet any of these criteria:
- Having a known allergy to any pain relievers, such as aspirin.
- Drinking at least three alcoholic beverages per day.
- Having stomach ulcers or bleeding in the intestines or stomach.
- Having heart, kidney or liver disease.
- Having a condition that requires a blood-thinning medication.
Posted: January 2013