Health Tip: Sex During Pregnancy
-- While sexual intercourse throughout a healthy pregnancy is usually safe, it may not be recommended for women who are a higher risk for complications.
The Nemours Foundation says sex may not be safe for pregnant women with any of the following risk factors:
- A history or risk of miscarriage.
- Having had a previous birth that was pre-term (earlier than 37 weeks), or having warning signs of pre-term labor.
- Vaginal bleeding, discharge or cramping that cannot be diagnosed.
- Leaking amniotic fluid.
- Conditions such as placenta previa and incompetent cervix.
- Carrying multiple fetuses.
Posted: October 2008