Health Tip: Selecting a Pediatrician
-- Choosing a pediatrician for your baby or toddler is an important decision, as you'll frequently turn to that doctor for questions, answers and advice.
The Nemours Foundation offers these suggestions to help parents chose a pediatrician:
- If you're pregnant, start looking for a pediatrician even before your baby is born. It's a good idea to start pediatrician hunting about three months before your due date.
- Make sure the pediatrician participates in your health insurance company's network.
- Get advice from friends and family about their pediatricians.
- Look for a pediatrician who is board-certified by the American Academy of Pediatrics. Make sure he or she doesn't have any associated complaints filed with the state medical board.
- Ask lots of questions, about topics such as office hours, emergency availability and affiliated hospitals.
Posted: August 2009