Health Tip: Use a Safe Stroller
-- Before taking baby for a walk, make sure your stroller is safe and your baby is well protected.
The American Academy of Pediatrics offers these safety precautions:
- Make sure any bumpers or toys are securely fastened so they don't fall on baby.
- Make sure the stroller has a wide base to avoid tipping. Also ensure that brakes are easy to operate and lock on two wheels.
- To avoid pinching little fingers, don't open or close the stroller when your child is standing nearby. Always lock the stroller in place before putting your child in it.
- Look for a basket placed low and close to the wheels. Do not hang bags from the stroller handle.
- Make sure the stroller has a harness and safety straps, and that your child is always buckled in.
- Never leave a child unattended.
- Make sure your child meets the height and weight requirements for the stroller.
- Make sure side-by-side strollers have a one-piece footrest.
Posted: April 2014