Health Tip: Stay Safe During a Thunderstorm
-- Lightning is one of nature's leading killers. As the old adage goes, "If you can hear thunder, you're close enough to be struck by lightning."
The New York State Office of Emergency Management mentions these safety tips as a thunderstorm approaches:
- Take shelter in a sturdy car or building, never under trees, in a small shed or in a convertible car.
- Stay away from bodies of water and get out of a boat.
- Unplug any unnecessary electrical appliances, and stay off of the phone.
- Do not take a shower or bath during a thunderstorm.
- Turn off your air conditioner to avoid the effects of a possible power surge.
- If flash flooding is possible, get to higher ground.
Posted: August 2013