Health Tip: What's Plantar Fasciitis?
- Plantar fasciitis is a common condition -- caused by overuse -- and characterized by often severe pain in the heel.
The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons offers additional information about the condition, including its risk factors:
- Women and people who are overweight are more likely than others to develop plantar fasciitis.
- Frequent running or walking for exercise may increase your risk of developing the condition.
- People with flat feet or very high arches are at greater risk.
- Standing or walking on hard surfaces for long periods also may increase your risk.
- The injury usually doesn't hurt during exercise, but pain begins to develop afterward.
- Pain may be most severe when waking up in the morning, or after rest.
- Plantar fasciitis requires treatment to prevent it from becoming chronic.
Posted: December 2007
Recommended for you