Health Tip: Run Safely
-- Even running or jogging can lead to injury unless you take the time to prepare.
The American Council on Exercise offers these suggestions:
- Always warm up before and cool down after your run. Gently stretch your muscles to help prevent soreness.
- Make sure you're not overdoing it. Speaking out loud continuously for 30 seconds should be challenging, but not too difficult.
- When your muscles are too tired and sore, back down on intensity, duration and frequency of your runs.
- Alternate running days with strength-training days.
- Don't increase running distance by more than 10 percent per week.
- Only run if you enjoy it.
Posted: April 2014