Health Tip: Risk Factors for Type 2 Diabetes
-- While you can't control all risk factors for type 2 diabetes, you can take steps to help ward off the disease.
The National Diabetes Information Clearinghouse mentions these common risk factors for type 2 diabetes:
- Being overweight or obese.
- Having blood pressure of 140/90 or higher, or high cholesterol.
- Leading a sedentary lifestyle.
- Having cardiovascular disease.
- Being age 45 or older.
- Having an immediate family member with diabetes.
- Being of Alaskan Native, African-American, Asian American, American Indian, Pacific Island or Hispanic/Latino origin.
- Having had a baby weighing more than 9 pounds, or having had gestational diabetes.
Posted: May 2014