Health Tip: Risk Factors for Melanoma
-- Melanoma is an often deadly form of skin cancer. Protecting yourself from sun damage can help protect your skin.
The American Academy of Dermatology offers this list of common risk factors for melanoma:
- Having fair skin or skin that is otherwise sensitive to the sun.
- Having red or blond hair with blue or green eyes.
- Having more than 50 moles.
- Having abnormal or irregular moles, often that are typically large.
- Having a history of using tanning beds or being sunburned frequently.
- Having a family history of melanoma.
- Having a weakened immune system.
- Having a personal history of melanoma or other form of skin cancer.
- Being 50 or older.
Posted: March 2010